Monday 23 July 2018

The Bridge

This poem reflects some of the most cherished memories of my father. 
When I am able I like to go back to my childhood haunts, usually beginning at the bridge mentioned, and when I do they trigger-off memories of what would now be called 'bonding' between dad and me.
He really enjoyed taking me out on his bike for a long ride around the countryside, there wasn't so much traffic then and anyway the roads were rural backwaters so the journeys were peaceful. I think, for him, it was an opportunity to talk to his kid as I was a captive audience and now I am older I realise that he wanted to school me into being the kind and caring person he was.
As I grew up I also discovered that not everyone had such loving parents as I fortunately had, so my gratitude towards him grew and grew with age. 
I miss him every day and hope that I have not fallen short of his ideals.


The Bridge


Now and again
I revisit the little bridge over the Loddon,
Look down at the bank
It's where I played as a little boy
Caught tiddlers in a jam jar,
My own tiny aquarium.

Memories flood my brain
Of innocent, uncorrupted youth
Father as the hero
The teller of all truths
Provider of unconditional love,
Safety, warmth and wisdom.

I recall dad putting his little boy
On a crossbar mounted saddle
Ready to go on a long bike ride
Around verdant Hampshire farmland 
His arms, in order to reach the handlebars
Cradled me, as we went on tour.

Past Stratfield Saye, to view
A monument to the Duke of Wellington
Another Nelson's column
But bizarrely in a rural scape
More modest, less triumphant, private
Just like my father’s quiet courage.

Although he died a long time ago
I am still on that bike,
Dad safely steering
Whispering in my ear:
“Be a good person, then you will have wealth
That no one can steal...and nothing to fear.”

Copyright © Peter Wheeler 2016

All Rights Reserved.








                       

This poem is included in my new collection of 65 poems entitled

'A Message to Father Time'




If you would like more information on how to get a download of my new collection on your PC/Laptop/Kindle, or obtain a paperback version, click here.











2 comments: